Hei everybody! Info letter 1.1!
Below Tromsø Enduro`s timetable and plans.
Race weekend, Friday training day and Saturday race day.
- 9:00 competition office opens @ Hella. Competitors register here (If you haven`t paid, payment at this point is 250,-nok CASH ONLY)
Competitors are given race numbers and start information
- 11:00 practice begins from special stage 1 and after ss1 you can easily follow signs to special stage 2 & 3. (The race will be probably marked already on Thursday, so you can practice already then). Special stage 2 and 3 are in the Grønnlibruna area, close to Rundfjellet. We go up the north side of Grønnlibruna and bike down south.
So you have to drive first from Hella camping to one of the Rundfjellet (Litje-Blåmanen) parking places. Then you carry/bike up Rundfjellet. You bike down to the parking place and enjoy the ride – ouh it was awesome! J Then you follow signs to the north side of Grønnlibruna. You bike up. From the top you bike south towards Straumsbukta. (You are going to love these stages J) Then you bike up north of Grønnlibruna and down again to the final goal at Straumsbukta. Here it is good to have a driver who can pick you up, otherwise it will be some biking on the road (ca 3 km to the camping site and ca 25 km to the start parking space). We try to arrange a free bus transfer from Straumsbukta or Hella back to your car at the Rundfjellet (Litje Blåmanen) parking space.
During practice the competitors are allowed to practice biking lines and explore the terrain. But look out out for other people, Give room!
The race is going to be about 3-5 hours long with about 1000 vertical meters. But, due to the enduro format it will not be too demanding since we are only taking time during the special stages. Of course there is some uphill and flat on the special stages, but mainly just downhill. So you can chill when you are going up! You can do it! No problememo! J
- 18:00 obligatory information meeting, all participants have to be there!
We go through special stages, dangerous places, safety, rules and etc.
- 8:00: the competition office opens; latest «late entries» possible.
- 11:00: the competition starts from Rundfjellet top! You have to be there at 11:00 and we mean at the top of the mountain!!
- BOOOMMMMMMM!!! Tromsøs first Enduro is on! Jii haaa!!!!!
- Around 18:00 the competition ends in the Straumsbukta area, and you can bike back to the Hella camp. Your competition is not going to end before you return your race number! Now you can start grilling and open something cold! 🙂 We gather to the camp fire and talk bike stuff !
- 18:00- to sunday evening, biking around Tromsø. We give hints and we can «guide» to the some routes. But this doesn`t mean that everybody have one guide. We are not guiding company, but we are going to help you as good as we can!
We make a map from the area before the competition and some things may change because of safety, weather etc.
We highly recommend that you have a driver and car to help you to travel between special stage one and Straumsbukta (where the race ends). We try to arrange free bus transfer for everybody.
Information about Hella camping:
- We have 2-3 showers there and 2-3 toilets. Bike washing place, grilling place and Hella is a very good fishing place so take your fishing rod with you! And we have awesome views, obviously! Fjords, mountains and midnight sun! Norwegian style!
- Camping is free
- Café is open from 12-18
- You can also rent cultural historically houses from Hella!
- We hopefully will have people from a local biking shop to fix mechanical problems.
We will follow the EWS rules with the exception that we are not part of a series (yet), so you can ignore the parts dealing with that. Here a few excerps from the EWS handbook:
- All riders must wear a helmet during competition. The helmet should meet the regulations set by the EWS event organiser. The correct fitting, condition and suitability of the rider’s helmet is the sole responsibility of the rider. Specific body protection and helmet requirements may also be stipulated at each event, in accordance with that territory’s national regulations. Any protection rules put in place by the EWS organiser must be followed by all competitors, no exceptions will be given.
We require a helmet at any time on the bike, i.e. if you want to have a full face helmet for the descent, you might have to carry it up while wearing a lighter helmet for the ascent. Additional protection such as knee guards, gloves, back plate etc is recommended but it is up to the riders how to dress up otherwise.
- Each rider must be self-sufficient during the entire duration of the race. Personal responsibility and self-sufficiency are a large part of the spirit of enduro racing and riders are encouraged to carry adequate equipment for operating in mountainous environments. Each rider should remember that they are solely responsible for themselves but should also help other competitors on course where possible.
- It is strongly recommended that all competitors carry:
- Suitable backpack
- Waterproof jacket
- Emergency blanket
- Innertubes/ puncture repair kit
- Multi tool
- Basic, well maintained first aid kit
- Food and fluids
- Eye protection (glasses or goggles)
- Emergency contacts supplied by organiser
- Only one frame, one front and rear suspension unit (fork/rear shock) and one pair of wheels can be used by a competitor during a race.
- In addition we require you to carry a cell phone in case of emergency! Emergency numbers will be provided before the race.
Also, we want to emphasize to not ride off trails and take care of the environment during the entire competition!
And nobody needs a race licence, anybody signing up successfully can participate!
NB: We are not able to provide insurance for the competition, i.e. participation is at own risk and it is the participants own responsibility to be insured adequatly. We will, however, provide an emergency plan and first help.
To sum it up:
Those rules have the intention to protect yourself and the other riders as well as the trails and the environment. The trails are passing through over 50 private properties and we asked for permission to ride them. It is up to us all now if we’ll be able to arrange future competitions there as well
LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE YOU GUYS!
YOU WILL ALL BE NORTHERN NORWAY ENDURO PIONEERS!
Don`t hesitate to send messages if you have questions, comments etc!
-Tromsø Enduro, Juha & Samuel